‘Community can save youth centre’

07:00 18 March 2014

Cllr Stuart Hughes. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref shs 3456-10-11AW

Cllr Stuart Hughes. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref shs 3456-10-11AW

Archant

SIDMOUTH’S county councillor is confident the community can help save the town’s youth centre after it was revealed such hubs could be shut by September if cost-cutting proposals become a reality.

Stuart Hughes says he has been hard at work preparing for the worst over the Manstone Lane venue – but is staying tight-lipped about what his plan entails.

Devon County Council needs to make £110million of cuts by 2017 and is looking for communities to come forward to take over the services.

A consultation meeting in Exmouth on Tuesday saw officers reveal all of the authority’s youth centres will be shut within six months if proposals go ahead.

“At the moment they are consulting – we can’t predict what will come out of it,” Councillor Hughes told the Herald.

“It is likely some of the youth centres will be closed. They are looking for local bodies to take on the facilities. I’m working in a positive way.”

Cllr Hughes says he has been ‘making strides’ towards finding a way of keeping the service offered to young people in Sidmouth – but cannot yet say what it is.

He added that Sidmouth Town Council puts £5,200 per annum into the youth centre to provide an extra night – and is certain the generous community can help provide any cash needed.

“I am quite confident as far as Sidmouth is concerned,” added Mr Hughes.

A county council spokesman said the need to save millions means it cannot afford to provide non-statutory services like universal youth clubs.

Staff and communities are being consulted over proposals to focus resources on helping the ‘most vulnerable’.

“This would also mean the withdrawal from running or managing local youth centres,” said the spokesman. “We are inviting people to come forward with ideas for services they could provide, possibly using our premises, for which some limited support may be available.”

A final decision is expected in May.

1 comment

  • It's nice to see that he is so keen to keep the youth service. its such a shame that he wasn't interested enough to give up 3 minutes to listen to young peoples voice in the meeting. and if he feels youth services are important why isn't he fighting to save the Sidmouth centre at county level not just locally??.

    Report this comment

    AlfieWeaver

    Saturday, March 22, 2014

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 12:30
Mow Mow is pictured in the arms of Paul with his wife Chie and their son Li Xian at their Sidford home this week. Ref shs 8310-09-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

A family had already started mourning their missing cat before people power pulled together to reunite them.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:00
40 Acts of kindness.

A pair of churchgoers took it upon themselves to whitewash over ‘cruel’ graffiti on a long-empty Sidmouth shop as part of a drive to do good this Lent.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:06
Save our Sidmouth group at the Knowle gardens in 2012. Photo by Terry Ife ref shs 1477-36-12TI To order your copy of this photograph go to www.sidmouthherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24

A final decision on controversial district council plans to sell its Knowle HQ and move away from Sidmouth will be made by the end of March.

Read more
Fri, 16:30
The 50 Shades of Grey premiere benefited Sidmouth Hospiscare and Hospiscare Exeter

An evening of glitz and glamour netted nearly £1,200 for charity when the silver screen adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey made its dazzling debut in Sidmouth.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 6°C

Most Read News

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Sidmouth Herald e-edition today E-edition



Devon's trusted business finder