Fire breaks out at Sidmouth hotel

PUBLISHED: 15:24 13 September 2017 | UPDATED: 16:36 13 September 2017




A Sidmouth hotel has been evacuated after a fire broke out in a laundry room.

Some of the items damaged in the fire. Some of the items damaged in the fire.

Emergency services were called to Dukes, on The Esplanade, at about 2.30pm today after reports of smoke coming from a first floor laundry room.

The hotel was evacuated and everyone has been accounted for.

Two crews from Sidmouth, one from Ottery and another from Budleigh attended and used hose reels, jets and breathing apparatus.

The fire was extinguished at about 3pm but firefighters have remained on the scene and are now using thermal imaging cameras to check the fire has not spread to the floor above or anywhere else in the building.

Hotel owner Mark Seward said: “Tea towels and drying clothes were in the tumble dryer, somehow they ignited. A member of housekeeping smelled something, then the smoke alarm went off.

“We have a system and a fire marshall. The building was swept and everyone was evacuated. The fire crew were here very quickly, they were superb. One of our maintenance team tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher. The fire brigade intervened and put it out. The fire was isolated in the laundry room.

“There was some smoke damage. It will need rebuilding. We’re back open for business tonight. We had to move two guests from the room above the laundry to alternative accommodation.

“Credit to sidmouths retained firemen for their prompt response, and my team who evacuated the building.

“If anybody needs a reminder of the need for smoke and heat detection, this is it. Sections of the building are several hundred years old, there are a lot of timbers and beams. The fire could have easily progressed.”

Watch commander Sean Faulkner said: “It started in a tumble dryer and spread throughout the laundry room. On arrival there was smoke and flames issuing. “We tried to dig out the affected areas in the building and successfully stopped the spread of the fire. Part of the success was down to good smoke detection in the property.

“Please check your smoke detectors and make sure they’re working. If you need help fitting them, we can assist.

“Because it’s an old building, if there were no smoke detectors they would have lost half the building - without a doubt.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News Stories

Music lovers have helped to 
raise £600 for Force Cancer Charity.

Read more

Local artist Jacqueline Steel hosts a solo exhibition at Kennaway House, including paintings which led to her being invited to compete in Sky Arts TV show.

Read more

A new £3,000 bench has been unveiled at Ottery Library to create a poet’s corner.

Read more
Yesterday, 17:30

A massive old telescope has come home to Sidmouth’s own observatory after many years away.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:55

What’s the history of your business and what does it do?

Read more
Yesterday, 07:03

A £64,000 project to make Ottery’s only pool available to the community all year round has had a rocking good start thanks to a charity auction.

Read more
Sunday, June 17, 2018

Scrumping apples in Sidmouth ‘will never be as much fun again’ – a bid to fill the town with blossoming fruit trees has been unveiled.

Read more
Sunday, June 17, 2018

Dancers from the Finch School of Dancing delighted audiences all of last week at the Sidmouth Manor Pavilion Theatre.

Read more
Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sidmouth will welcome one of the world’s most up and coming pianists as part of this year’s East Devon Music Festival.

Read more
Sunday, June 17, 2018

Charitable vendors have donated more than £2,000 to support the town’s famous tar barrels event.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 15°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Read the Sidmouth Herald e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sidmouth Herald twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Local business directory

Devon's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Find planning applications