Friday, June 20, 2014
The organiser of this year’s Beat the Bus charity challenge in Sidmouth has made a final appeal for people to take part before the race takes place next week.
Bill Valentine says about 30 people have signed up to the 9k coastal run so far, but 100 people ‘would be better’.
Despite the low entry numbers, he has assured runners the trek will still go ahead next Wednesday (June 25).
“Hopefully, at least 50 people will participate on the day,” said Bill. “100 would be better to cover costs and so we can give the charity we are supporting [Sidmouth Living with Cancer] a good amount of money.”
The charity challenge has previously generated between £3,000 and £4,000.
However, the lack of interest in this year’s event has meant the future of the race could be left hanging in the balance should entrant numbers continue to dip.
Bill added: “We might reconsider about doing it next year because it is a lot of work and stress.
“It is a shame that people have not taken up the challenge and not knowing if anybody is going to turn up.
“It is like catering for a party and not having anyone show up.”
Entry to the race costs £8 for those who belong to an athletics club and £10 for those who do not.
Sign up forms are available on www.sidmouthrunning.co.uk, or call Bill on 01395 516763.