Don't miss a story sign up to Sidmouth Herald's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Passers-by tackle bin blaze under Sidmouth landmark

06:00 23 May 2014

Rachel Perram and friends put a fire out in a wheelie bin - chained to Jacob's Ladder - caused by disposable barbecues. Photo by Rachel Perram.

Rachel Perram and friends put a fire out in a wheelie bin - chained to Jacob's Ladder - caused by disposable barbecues. Photo by Rachel Perram.

Archant

QUICK-THINKING beachgoers prevented Jacob’s Ladder from being damaged by a blaze caused by smouldering disposable barbecues dumped in a public bin underneath the landmark.

Rachel Perram and friends put a fire out in a wheelie bin - chained to Jacob's Ladder - caused by disposable barbecues. Photo by Rachel Perram.Rachel Perram and friends put a fire out in a wheelie bin - chained to Jacob's Ladder - caused by disposable barbecues. Photo by Rachel Perram.

Rachel Perram and friends put out a fire which began in a receptacle that was chained to the wooden landmark on Saturday (May 17) afternoon.

Rachel, 43, of Convent Road, hopes that highlighting the incident will encourage others to be responsible with beach barbecues and ensure they are properly put out before they are disposed of.

She has also suggested that metal mesh bins are installed on the seafront.

Rachel was enjoying the hot weather with pals at her beach hut when she spotted the fire in the wheelie bin.

She said it was caused by four ‘burning’ disposable barbecues. Rachel added: “I have contacted the [district] council on several occasions and asked them to install metal mesh bins by the beach.

“These are common on beaches in Cornwall and are ideal as they contain these sorts of accidents.

“This is not an isolated incident, disposable barbecues are routinely left on the promenade, which are often still lit and pose a burn hazard to pedestrians and children.

“If this had happened later on in the day, no-one would have seen this fire and chaining the bin to the wooden frame of Jacob’s Ladder was foolish in the extreme.”

The landmark was recently the subject of £4,500 of extensive repairs to its timber steps due to storm damage inflicted by wild winter weather.

Rachel said she was told by a council worker that the bin under the landmark has since been moved.

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 16:20

Call for businesses, groups and organisations to make their voices heard

Read more
Yesterday, 12:37

A special party was thrown by a charity to mark the 90th birthdays of a trio of ladies, who have all survived cancer.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:13

Authority sheds light on why controversial application was refused

Read more
Yesterday, 07:37

Sidmouth Town Band members can blow their own trumpets, cornets, horns and trombones after securing a top-five finish at the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain.

Read more
Tue, 18:35

Planning chief details landscape, wildlife and traffic concerns.

Read more
Tue, 16:30

Britain’s oldest civic society has donated £14,500 to Sidmouth’s weather-worn parish church for essential masonry repairs.

Read more
Tue, 14:59

A Sidford teenager has signed a two year professional contract with Somerset Cricket Club after an impressive debut for the club.

Read more
Tue, 11:20

Author speaks to Sidmouth audience ahead of the release of debut novel

Read more
Tue, 11:06

Huge crowds turned out when county’s stage began in Sidmouth this month

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 14°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Family notices
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Submit a Story
Buy Photos
Competitions
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Sidmouth Herald e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Local business directory

Devon's trusted business finder

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications