Festive Fun - A 60 question football and general sports quiz
12:33 24 December 2012
Following the success of the 12 Sports at Christmas Quiz we have produced a quiz of 60 questions.
Half of them (the first 30) are football based and the other 30 are general sport.
Once again we suggest you copy and paste and then print off as many as you need and pass them round family and friends to see who the Sporting Buff is in your household this Christmas.
Here we go -
1. Name the SIX players to have worn the Everton Number NINE shirt during the Premier league era?
2. Which two Arsenal players later managed Tottenham Hotspur?
3. Which Tottenham player later managed Arsenal?
4. Name the four players to wear the Liverpool number five shirt during the Premier League era?
5. Who is the only Swedish player to score a Premier League hat-trick to date?
6. Name the five Manchester United players to wear the number seven shirt in the Premier League era?
7. What do footballers Mike Trebilcock, Nigel Martyn and Matthew Etherington have in common?
8. Which 6 clubs have finished a season in the Premier League Top 3 but never won the Title?
9. Which two players have both scored away Premier League hat-tricks twice at the same ground?
10. Which five players are Brazil’s all-time top international goal scorers?
11. How many South Americans have managed Premier League clubs?
12. How many clubs starting with the letter B have featured in the Top Flight of English Football?
13. How many of the current 20 Premier League clubs have never finished in the Top Flight’s top three?
14. Which five players have worn Arsenal’s number five shirt during the Premier League Era?
15. What connects Dixie Dean (Everton), Bobby Moore (West Ham United), Duncan Edwards (Manchester United), Billy Wright (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Danny Blanchflower (Tottenham Hotspur) & Sir Matt Busby (Manchester United)
16. Name a player that have had their name on the front and back of their shirts, i.e. the sponsor is the same as their name.
17. Four teams have won the European Cup and their own domestic league and cup double in the same season. Can you name them?
18. Name 5 English players who have been transferred for over £7m but have never played for England ?
19. Name two players to have won the European Championship, Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League with their respective teams?
20. Who is the only person to captain England and manage a team in a European Cup Final?
21 How old was Pele when he scored in his first World Cup final?
22 In which city was the first match of the 2002 World Cup played?
23 Which nation lost in the final of successive World Cups in the 1980s?
24 Who presented the Jules Rimet Trophy to the 1934 World Cup winners?
25 Which country hosted the World Cup in 1982?
26 In which World Cup finals was the greatest number of goals scored, 171 in total?
27 Who scored for England after just 27 seconds of a World Cup match in 1982?
28 Which player holds the record for the most goals scored in a World Cup tournament?
29 Who is the only player to play in three World Cup winning sides?
30 Name the five African countries that took part in the 2002 World Cup finals.
31 Which sport would you play if you were a toxophilite?
32 Which sport’s playing area must be exactly nine feet long and five feet wide?
33 Which sport do the Chicago Bear play?
34 Which sport involves stones and a house?
35 With which sport would you associate David Bryant?
36 In which sport might you see the two teams defending different size goals?
37 Chris Boardman is famous in which sport?
38 In which sport do players take long and short corners?
39 Which sport has a finish line that no competitor will ever cross?
40 In 1990 which item of kit was made compulsory for all footballers by FIFA?
41 From what material is a snooker cue tip made?
42 What is the white bal in bowls called?
43 A cricket bat is traditionally made of which wood?
44 In which sport might you come across blue, red, white and yellow dots?
45 What colour is the centre scoring zone on an archery target?
46 Which position is played by the number 10 in rugby union?
47 How many players are there in a hurling team, 11, 13 or 15?
48 How many days does the Tour de France last?
49 In which court sport do you wear gloves and hit the ball against a wall?
50 What is the maximum number of clubs a golfer may use in a round of golf?
51 How many balls are on the table at the start of standard game of pool?
52 How many tuggers are there on each side in a ‘tug of war’?
53 Which sport are you not allowed to play left handed?
54 In snooker what is the penalty for going in-off the yellow?
55 What are the three types of swords used in fencing competitions?
56 How many times can a volleyball be touched by one team before it must cross the net?
57 How many players are there in an ice-hockey team?
58 How many hurdles will a runner jump over in a 110m men’s hurdle race?
59 How long is a ten-pin bowling lane? 60ft, 80 ft or 100ft?
60 How many players are there in a Rugby League team?
Answers: 1. Tony Cottee (1993-94), Duncan Ferguson (1994-98, 2005-06), Kevin Campbell (1998-2004), James Beattie (2006-07), Louis Saha (2008-09) and Landon Donovan (2011-12). 2. Terry Neill & George Graham played for Arsenal and managed Tottenham Hotspur; 3. Herbert Chapman played for Spurs and managed Arsenal. 4. Mark Wright (1993-98), Steve Staunton (1998-2000), Milan Baros (2001-05) and Daniel Agger (2005-12). 5. Fredrik Ljungberg for Arsenal against Sunderland, 11th May 2003. 6. Eric Cantona (1993-97), David Beckham (1997-2003), Cristiano Ronaldo (2003-09), Michael Owen (2009-11) and the current number seven Antonio Valencia. 7. They were all born in Cornwall; 8. Liverpool, Newcastle United & Aston Villa (all runners-up) and Leeds United, Norwich City & Nottingham Forest (all 3rd place). 9. Wayne Rooney for Man Utd at the Reebok (28th Oct 2006 & 10th Sep 2011) & Luis Suarez for Liverpool at Carrow Rd (28th Apr 2012 & 29th Sep 2012); 10, Pelé (77 goals), Ronaldo (62), Romário (55), Zico (52) and Bebeto (39); 11, A: Two - Luis Felipe Scolari (Brazil with Chelsea) and Ossie Ardiles (Argentina with Tottenham Hotspur). 12, A: 12 clubs: Barnsley (1 season), Birmingham City (57), Blackburn Rovers (72), Blackpool (28), Bolton Wanderers (73), Bradford City (12), Bradford Park Avenue (3), Brentford (5), Brighton & Hove Albion (4), Bristol City (9), Burnley (52) and Bury (22 seasons in the Top Flight). Season 2012-13 is the first in the Premier League without a club starting with the letter B; 13, Five clubs have never finished in the Top Three: Fulham, Reading, Stoke City, Swansea City & Wigan Athletic; 14, A: Andy Linighan (1993-95), Steve Bould (1995-99), Martin Keown (1999-2004), Kolo Touré (2006-09) and Thomas Vermaelen (2009-12); 15, They have all featured on Great Britain postage stamps. 16 Leigh Sharpe when he played for Manchester United and they were sponsored by Sharp. 17. Glasgow Celtic (in 1967), Ajax (1972), PSV Eindhoven (1988) and Manchester United (1999); 18. Dean Richards, Carl Cort, Kevin Davies, Dean Ashton, Nigel Reo Coker; 19. Peter Schmeichel: European Championship - Denmark 1992, Premiership, FA Cup, Champions’ League – 1999 and Nicolas Anelka: European Championship - France 2000, Premiership, FA Cup - Arsenal 1998, Champions’ League - Real Madrid 2000. 20. Jimmy Armfield. 21 17, 22 Seoul, 23 West Germany, 24 Benito Mussolini, 25 Spain, 26 The 1998 World Cup in France, 27 Bryan Robson, 28 Just Fontaine, with 13 goals in 1958, 29 The great Pele again, in 58, 62 and 70, 30 South Africa, Tunisia, Cameroon, Nigeria and Senegal; 31, Archery, 32 Table Tennis, 33 American Football, 34 Curling, 35 Bowls, 36 Water Polo, 37 Cycling, 38 Hockey, 39 Swimming, 40 Shin pads, 41 Suede, 42 Jack, 43 Willow, 44 Squash, 45 Gold, 46 fly-half, 47 15, 48 22, 49 Fives, 50 14, 51 16, 52 8, 53 Polo, 54 4 points, 55 foil, epee and sabre. 56 3, 57 6, 58 10, 59 60 feet, 60 13.