Crediton 7, Sidmouth 2

After quite a promising month in the league, Sidmouth Under-16s were hoping to continue this run into December, writes Mat Ogley.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

They faced an away match against Crediton which, would have at first, seemed one of their easier games as Crediton were below Sidmouth in the table.

Sidmouth took an early lead, thanks to a well taken shot from striker Jack Scrivens who had just spent a fortnight out through injury. A ball was placed over the top, which was headed down by James Pearce leaving Scrivens to score his 9th of the season. However, from then on the game went downhill as Crediton equalised very quickly, courtesy of an excellent free kick which keeper Adam Bartlett could have done nothing about. Sidmouth then gave away a penalty to make it 2-1. The goals continued to come for Crediton as Sidmouth`s midfield were completely outplayed and by half time, the score was 4-1.

At the break, manager Ian Peacock attempted to offer the players words of encouragement and try to take something positive from the first half display. But, it was down to the players to try and up their game and produce something of worth in the second half.

At the restart, keeper Adam Bartlett made some great saves and had it not been for him, the score line would have inevitably been much worse. Sidmouth did make quite a few chances in the second half, but none of the players were able to capitalise to decrease the deficit. Attacker Josh Worthington, who normally buries most chances he gets in front of goal, missed a spot kick and the rebound that followed. The game was summed up when George Peacock was red carded for a late challenge on one of the Crediton midfielders.

Some of the players did attempt to keep the team’s morale up and continued to work hard throughout the match. A consolation goal was found but unfortunately, it just wasn’t going to be Sidmouth’s morning and Crediton scored three more before the whistle went for full time.

The final score was 7-2 and all the team could do, was look forward to a fortnight’s time when they face Heavitree Comets at home.


Join our newsletter