SIR - To my knowledge, for more than 40 years, residents of Sidmouth have had access to Church House from Coburg Road.
This entrance saves a longer walk round for the elderly, but, importantly, avoids having to pass the hazard to the car doors which open across the Coburg Road pavement, also the busy junction at the top of Church Street.
This has now all changed and the gate padlocked. This seems extraordinary!
I, personally, had experience of this today when I found the gate chained and was stopped by a large attendant who told me that it was no longer a public right of way and was now “private property”.
The whole issue is completely contrary to the advice given to Sidmothians just some two years ago when we were assured access via Coburg would remain.
You may also want to watch:
Yet, it is the same residents, who donated substantial sums to the Renovation Fund, who are now being denied access?
What is going on? Is pedestrian access only to be via the very busy car park?
- 1 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 2 Tragedy strikes the racing world
- 3 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 6 School's hill climb challenge
- 7 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 8 Beautiful news for fans of music festival
- 9 Family triumph in Sidmouth golf team stableford
- 10 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street