Act now to stop this pillage of our genteel resort
SIR – We read with alarm the news of an application to open an amusement centre in the town. This proposed development is simply not right for Sidmouth.
SIR - We read with alarm the news of an application to open an amusement centre in the town.
This proposed development is simply not right for Sidmouth. The town has just received a very large bequest and the donor did this because he believed Sidmouth is "just how England used to be and exactly how it should be" and we agree with him.
We believe it would be a betrayal of the donor's generosity and philosophy to allow this application to go ahead.
The constant preoccupation with change in this town is incomprehensible to us and to many others. We refer to the article in the Herald of Friday, April 18, "Remembering those who loved our town". Here is evidence that people liked and still like the town as it is. Why else would the Sid Vale Association have so many members and continue to thrive?
We also refer to Ian Jacomb's letter in the same edition of the Herald. He objects to a particular application upon which we are not commenting, but he asks: "why do we need to keep changing the face of Sidmouth? ... so, surely, now is the time to stop this pillage of our genteel seaside resort.
If readers of the Herald wish to preserve the tranquility and ambience of Sidmouth, then let them put their objections in writing to EDDC.
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Churchyards are peaceful havens for wildlife
- 3 Well done to jubilee party organisers - lets hope the weather holds
- 4 Ottery's Animal Rescue Centre holds anniversary fundraising event
- 5 Sidmouth sailors host national competition
- 6 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 7 Rock Choir fundraiser for Sidmouth's Admiral Nurse
- 8 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 9 The Queen;s Jubilee celebrations in Ottery and Phyllis Baxter
- 10 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
So this is what we are doing now. An amusement arcade would not promote either the tranquility or the ambience of Sidmouth and we urge rejection of this application.
The Fort Management
Company (Sidmouth) Ltd
Dr and Mrs N Andreas
David G Burgoyne
Mrs Ellen Casey
Mike and Joyce Deary
C and O Lintonbon;
John and Diana Lee