Alexandria Road site under used
SIR - We are appalled that East Devon District Council is contemplating another industrial site in Sidford when the Alexandria Road site in Sidmouth is totally under utilised.
Public consultation is a euphemism for just what the council wants to achieve without any consideration to the opinions and needs of the residents of Sidmouth.
I know the council has to keep increasing its revenue because of less Government funding and rising costs but this way of raising revenue will be a permanent scar on the landscape of Sidmouth which relies predominantly on tourism for trade and revenue coming into the town.
We would like to know if a feasibility study has been undertaken to ascertain who is going to occupy these units.
The proposed site is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Government policy stipulates that only in exceptional circumstances should land designated as an ANOB be built on.
You may also want to watch:
The Ford complex at Alexandria Road is very much under utilised and could expand considerably with little or no effect on the local residents and amenities.
The intention to relocate from Knowle would, I assume, be at great expense to council tax payers, and would question for what purpose other than to put more dwellings in what is an historical area of Sidmouth.
- 1 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 2 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 3 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 4 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 5 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 6 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 7 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 8 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 9 Sidmouth poised for a title push
- 10 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
Is the intention of the development committee to change the face of Sidmouth with over density housing, a possible supermarket that would affect the local shops, and, in the end, lose the identity of one of the few seaside resorts that has charm, character and attracts visitors 12 months of the year?
As an elected representative of the people of Sidmouth, you (EDDC) should be open and honest as to your ultimate intentions, and public consultation should mean what it says, listen to the majority and act accordingly.
JH and CA Watling