SIR – We would like to ask why the article entitled Amusements wasn t front page news, as has been with the issues on seafront traders, Fortfield Hotel, a marina, etc., over the last few months and years?
SIR - We would like to ask why the article entitled "Amusements" wasn't front page news, as has been with the issues on seafront traders, Fortfield Hotel, a marina, etc., over the last few months and years?
The idea of an application being made to EDDC for the Dove pub in Dove Street to be turned into an amusement centre is horrendous.
What is happening to our town, why do so many organisations/people want to change it and spoil it?
Is there a death wish on the town? Amusement arcades are not in keeping at all with such a pretty and desirable town of this calibre.
You may also want to watch:
Keith Owen, the millionaire banker, who, though he often visited the town, didn't actually live here, but loved it so because it hadn't changed much over the decades, left a fortune to the Sid Vale Association to encourage local children to conserve the countryside and help improve the local environment by purchasing plants, trees and bulbs.
We cannot see an amusement centre improving the environment: far from it!
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 6 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 9 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
- 10 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
As for the applications to EDDC, on checking the planning proposal columns in your newspaper for last week and this week, nothing is shown regarding this so we wonder when it was put into the council.
Come on, complacent residents of Sidmouth, make the time to write/text/e-mail whatever and raise objections to an application of this kind.
Don't leave it to the usual stalwarts, otherwise you'll wake up one day and wonder why a unique and wonderful Sidmouth has vanished to be replaced by a gaudy, run-of- the-mill amusement arcade-full coastal dump!
KP and LJ Kavanagh