SIR – We would like to ask why the article entitled Amusements wasn t front page news, as has been with the issues on seafront traders, Fortfield Hotel, a marina, etc., over the last few months and years?
SIR - We would like to ask why the article entitled "Amusements" wasn't front page news, as has been with the issues on seafront traders, Fortfield Hotel, a marina, etc., over the last few months and years?
The idea of an application being made to EDDC for the Dove pub in Dove Street to be turned into an amusement centre is horrendous.
What is happening to our town, why do so many organisations/people want to change it and spoil it?
Is there a death wish on the town? Amusement arcades are not in keeping at all with such a pretty and desirable town of this calibre.
Keith Owen, the millionaire banker, who, though he often visited the town, didn't actually live here, but loved it so because it hadn't changed much over the decades, left a fortune to the Sid Vale Association to encourage local children to conserve the countryside and help improve the local environment by purchasing plants, trees and bulbs.
We cannot see an amusement centre improving the environment: far from it!
- 1 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 7 Ottery St Mary rings in the festivities
- 8 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 9 Christmas Light Switch-Ons in East Devon's towns
- 10 Local care partnership set up for Devon to prepare for winter
As for the applications to EDDC, on checking the planning proposal columns in your newspaper for last week and this week, nothing is shown regarding this so we wonder when it was put into the council.
Come on, complacent residents of Sidmouth, make the time to write/text/e-mail whatever and raise objections to an application of this kind.
Don't leave it to the usual stalwarts, otherwise you'll wake up one day and wonder why a unique and wonderful Sidmouth has vanished to be replaced by a gaudy, run-of- the-mill amusement arcade-full coastal dump!
KP and LJ Kavanagh