SIR – We would like to ask why the article entitled Amusements wasn t front page news, as has been with the issues on seafront traders, Fortfield Hotel, a marina, etc., over the last few months and years?
SIR - We would like to ask why the article entitled "Amusements" wasn't front page news, as has been with the issues on seafront traders, Fortfield Hotel, a marina, etc., over the last few months and years?
The idea of an application being made to EDDC for the Dove pub in Dove Street to be turned into an amusement centre is horrendous.
What is happening to our town, why do so many organisations/people want to change it and spoil it?
Is there a death wish on the town? Amusement arcades are not in keeping at all with such a pretty and desirable town of this calibre.
Keith Owen, the millionaire banker, who, though he often visited the town, didn't actually live here, but loved it so because it hadn't changed much over the decades, left a fortune to the Sid Vale Association to encourage local children to conserve the countryside and help improve the local environment by purchasing plants, trees and bulbs.
We cannot see an amusement centre improving the environment: far from it!
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 5 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 6 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 7 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 8 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 9 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 10 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
As for the applications to EDDC, on checking the planning proposal columns in your newspaper for last week and this week, nothing is shown regarding this so we wonder when it was put into the council.
Come on, complacent residents of Sidmouth, make the time to write/text/e-mail whatever and raise objections to an application of this kind.
Don't leave it to the usual stalwarts, otherwise you'll wake up one day and wonder why a unique and wonderful Sidmouth has vanished to be replaced by a gaudy, run-of- the-mill amusement arcade-full coastal dump!
KP and LJ Kavanagh