Apologise to Roger Giles
The recently released report by the EDDC monitoring officer (Mrs Lyon) is a damning indictment of the conduct of Ottery St Mary town councillors at meetings and the treatment of Councillor Roger Giles.
Mrs Lyon held that the fact that a private briefing was proposed between councillors and a developer was not confidential information (as the council maintained) and that Cllr Giles was justified in informing EDDC councillor Claire Wright of the proposed briefing.
Mrs Lyon also decided that members of the Ottery Town Council were wrong in discussing Cllr Giles’s action (which could have lead to his suspension) at a public meeting rather than in private, and the subsequent vote in the December meeting was an unfair process with very little evidence of natural justice.
The report urged councillors to “reflect on events and their behaviour and recommends that they go for training on the conduct of council business”.
Will they follow this advice I wonder? It is in the public interest that they do so.
You may also want to watch:
The fact remains that although all complaints levelled against Cllr Giles were dismissed, the full version of the report has not been published. Cllr Giles has been accused and humiliated by certain members of the council in public, but has been exonerated in private.
Surely he deserves a public apology from these councillors who were so quick to accuse him in a vote in a public meeting? Is it too much to hope that they will be man (or woman) enough to do so?
- 1 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 2 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 3 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 9 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
Tipton St John