SIR - Re: Bible: myth and reality.
I was saddened to see Miriam Brown using your columns to regurgitate more myths from the ‘higher critics’ she has been reading.
May I just pick up one idea, about the Ten Commandments being acquired from Babylonian law?
Although the 282 laws of the Code of Hammurabi were around at the time of Moses (as were several other codes of law) it was exclusively civil and criminal - and took into account the social position of the perpetrator and victim.
Moses’ law code on the other hand, begins with spiritual principles - love towards God and human beings, irrespective of their social status.
You may also want to watch:
The spiritual values make the Mosaic Law unique among all the ancient law codes.
Also, Jesus and the New Testament writers seem to believe that the Law was given by Moses (Luke 24:44. John 1:7 etc)!
- 1 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 2 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 3 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 4 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 5 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 6 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 7 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 8 Artists given a masterclass in watercolour painting
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 New minibus takes voluntary service's fleet to three
Maybe Ms Brown is better informed?