SIR - Re: Bible: myth and reality.
I was saddened to see Miriam Brown using your columns to regurgitate more myths from the ‘higher critics’ she has been reading.
May I just pick up one idea, about the Ten Commandments being acquired from Babylonian law?
Although the 282 laws of the Code of Hammurabi were around at the time of Moses (as were several other codes of law) it was exclusively civil and criminal - and took into account the social position of the perpetrator and victim.
Moses’ law code on the other hand, begins with spiritual principles - love towards God and human beings, irrespective of their social status.
You may also want to watch:
The spiritual values make the Mosaic Law unique among all the ancient law codes.
Also, Jesus and the New Testament writers seem to believe that the Law was given by Moses (Luke 24:44. John 1:7 etc)!
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 6 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 10 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
Maybe Ms Brown is better informed?