Café not needed
Regarding the article in the Beer and Branscombe news page of Sidmouth Herald dated September 20, 2013 - Clothes shop to wine bar.
I am amazed that anyone can really think that yet another coffee shop and a wine bar is what the village of Beer needs and that it will complement the village.
This small village already has three pubs (all serving food) and a social club, an off-licence, five restaurants/tea shops/cafes, three tea huts on the beach serving food and drinks, plus the Sailing Club which is open to the public for coffee etc, on certain days.
To allow more would only take custom from the existing businesses.
What the village does need is a decent convenience store, such as a “Spar” or “Londis” providing everyday necessities at reasonable prices.
You may also want to watch:
This would provide a service to locals and holiday makers in self-catering houses and caravans.
It is expected that a coffee shop and wine bar would provide two full-time and six part-time jobs, but a decent convenience store would probably require about the same number of staff all year round.
- 1 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 2 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 3 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 6 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 7 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 8 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 9 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 10 Property of the Week: Green Gables
Of course, if all the houses carry on being bought for use as holiday homes, then who will be left to work in these jobs.
I hope that East Devon District Council will give thought to what the village of Beer needs, before passing plans for more coffee shops and wine bars.
I also note that the plan includes a seating area at the rear of these premises and that would surely impinge on the privacy of the cottages in Hammets Court.