Chain letter plea
SIR - I am in complete agreement with Councillors Roger Giles and Claire Wright over the proposal to spend �1,500 on a new mayoral chain, especially in the current climate when so many families are having to tighten household budgets quite drastically in order to keep their heads above water.
If there is a spare �1,500 of public money available, then spend it on something to benefit the community. The skate park still needs funds as do the Ottery Help Scheme, just two of the many community projects that could benefit from the cash.
Hard-pressed families will not be impressed by what most would see as frivolous spending of public monies.
Mrs S Visser
Ottery St Mary
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 7 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka