Chain letter plea
SIR - I am in complete agreement with Councillors Roger Giles and Claire Wright over the proposal to spend �1,500 on a new mayoral chain, especially in the current climate when so many families are having to tighten household budgets quite drastically in order to keep their heads above water.
If there is a spare �1,500 of public money available, then spend it on something to benefit the community. The skate park still needs funds as do the Ottery Help Scheme, just two of the many community projects that could benefit from the cash.
Hard-pressed families will not be impressed by what most would see as frivolous spending of public monies.
Mrs S Visser
Ottery St Mary
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 9 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 10 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand