Chain letter plea
SIR - I am in complete agreement with Councillors Roger Giles and Claire Wright over the proposal to spend �1,500 on a new mayoral chain, especially in the current climate when so many families are having to tighten household budgets quite drastically in order to keep their heads above water.
If there is a spare �1,500 of public money available, then spend it on something to benefit the community. The skate park still needs funds as do the Ottery Help Scheme, just two of the many community projects that could benefit from the cash.
Hard-pressed families will not be impressed by what most would see as frivolous spending of public monies.
Mrs S Visser
Ottery St Mary
You may also want to watch:
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching