Church House - debt owed to volunteers
MADAM - Now that Kennaway House has emerged from its cocoon of scaffolding, with a new roof, with its rotten woodwork being replaced/its brick work treated and all newly painted, it is starting to become a visual asset in this most attractive part of Sidmouth
MADAM - Now that Kennaway House has emerged from its cocoon of scaffolding, with a new roof, with its rotten woodwork being replaced/its brick work treated and all newly painted, it is starting to become a visual asset in this most attractive part of Sidmouth, quite apart from its future use for the benefit of the town.
Surely the heroes of this long-running saga are the chairman, treasurer and trustees who, despite all the problems, and the need to raise a great deal of money, had the courage and determination to go for renovation of this 2* listed building, and the many others who have helped since that decision was made.
What will complete the picture, and is so very important, is the renovation of what was once the 'Church House lawn' now looking like a builders' yard, for it will not only provide a setting for the house itself, but, situated as it is between the bus stop and the town, very much an amenity in its own right.
It is entirely appropriate that the Sid Vale Association is supporting this latter project financially, for the association's major benefactor, the late Keith Owen, had his only home, as did his Mother before him, in Barton House, which was once part of the Kennaway property in Sidmouth, and is approached down the same drive.Keith would have approved of the 'voluntary' effort.
You may also want to watch:
What this whole enterprise demonstrates, as has been done often before, is the role that 'voluntary' effort plays in making Sidmouth such a marvellous place in which to live; long may there be men and women in Sidmouth prepared to give of their time and expertise for the good of our community and beyond.
Mr Kim Smith
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
1 Barton House