Concerned for us
I have known Stuart Hughes for many years and one of the things that can be said of him is that he obeys the dictates of his own conscience.
He has the reputation of being the man to approach if you want to get something done, as the interests of Sidmouth and Sidmouth people are his prime concern.
I spent a few years working with Stuart on the town council where, I must confess, I earned something of a reputation for not slavishly following preconceived ideas but made up my own mind how I should vote.
I had the opportunity to stand for election to East Devon District Council but decided against doing so as I could not bring myself to accept the principle of obeying a party whip.
So, what is my opinion on the Stuart Hughes issue? I feel that the electorate have chosen to vote for a candidate to speak his mind on their behalf according to his conscience and not slavishly follow the dictates of other persons who tell him what to vote.
But we are assured that this is not the issue.Hmm.
Frank J Hayward
- 1 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 2 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 3 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 4 Amateur dramatic society present 'tried and tested' comedy
- 5 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 6 Get ready to dive into Sidmouth's Sea Fest
- 7 Festival organisers join forces to boost the town's 'brilliant cultural offer'
- 8 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 9 'If I were a tree' - children's writing competition invites entries
- 10 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence