Council HQ plea
SIR - Further to my letter and your article in last week’s Herald about the Knowle headquarters, it seems to me that EDDC has given no consideration to Sidmouth over its decision to move to Honiton.
The Knowle Hotel was originally bought by Sidmouth Urban District Council in 1968 and passed to EDDC in 1974 under local government reforms. Surely, if EDDC sells the Knowle to fund its move, something should come to Sidmouth other than a block of flats!
The town would also lose 400 quality jobs and the local expenditure associated with having the HQ in the town.
Whether it’s in their handling of the new health centre, Port Royal, the Fortfield development, 150 proposed new houses or the new industrial estate, EDDC does not seem to have the best interests of Sidmouth at heart.
L J Cotton
You may also want to watch:
5 Bennetts Hill, Sidmouth
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government