Council HQ plea
SIR - Further to my letter and your article in last week’s Herald about the Knowle headquarters, it seems to me that EDDC has given no consideration to Sidmouth over its decision to move to Honiton.
The Knowle Hotel was originally bought by Sidmouth Urban District Council in 1968 and passed to EDDC in 1974 under local government reforms. Surely, if EDDC sells the Knowle to fund its move, something should come to Sidmouth other than a block of flats!
The town would also lose 400 quality jobs and the local expenditure associated with having the HQ in the town.
Whether it’s in their handling of the new health centre, Port Royal, the Fortfield development, 150 proposed new houses or the new industrial estate, EDDC does not seem to have the best interests of Sidmouth at heart.
L J Cotton
You may also want to watch:
5 Bennetts Hill, Sidmouth
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 9 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 10 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary