Council HQ plea
SIR - Further to my letter and your article in last week’s Herald about the Knowle headquarters, it seems to me that EDDC has given no consideration to Sidmouth over its decision to move to Honiton.
The Knowle Hotel was originally bought by Sidmouth Urban District Council in 1968 and passed to EDDC in 1974 under local government reforms. Surely, if EDDC sells the Knowle to fund its move, something should come to Sidmouth other than a block of flats!
The town would also lose 400 quality jobs and the local expenditure associated with having the HQ in the town.
Whether it’s in their handling of the new health centre, Port Royal, the Fortfield development, 150 proposed new houses or the new industrial estate, EDDC does not seem to have the best interests of Sidmouth at heart.
L J Cotton
You may also want to watch:
5 Bennetts Hill, Sidmouth
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences