Councillors must not be manipulated
SIR – The debate as to whether Tesco should be able to expand in Honiton or whether a supermarket should come to Ottery would quickly be decided by anybody who cares to listen to visitors to our town s shops during the holiday season.
SIR - The debate as to whether Tesco should be able to expand in Honiton or whether a supermarket should come to Ottery would quickly be decided by anybody who cares to listen to visitors to our town's shops during the holiday season.
All are delighted at rediscovering real shops and have a sad tale to tell of the loss of the little shops in their own town, due to the arrival of a large superstore, supermarket or shopping complex.
East Devon is one of the few remaining areas of the UK where small, independent shops survive, and it is a major reason the area is so popular.
I am sure there are many councillors across the country regretting their hand in the ruin of their towns by allowing a supermarket to push in.
You may also want to watch:
Let us hope our own councillors are not so easily manipulated.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Ottery St Mary