Critics - run carnival yourselves, if you know better
Madam - The Sidmouth Herald has run several items on Majorettes and Sidmouth Carnival and this has also been featured on your letter pages.
Madam - The Sidmouth Herald has run several items on Majorettes and Sidmouth Carnival and this has also been featured on your letter pages. It would have been helpful if the full facts were relayed in the story, as nowhere was it mentioned that the majorette troupes actually make a charge to appear. The cost of each troupe is usually around �50 - �75. In the 16 years that I organised the carnival I can't recall a time where the majoretttes actually agreed to take part without payment.
In 2008 we had five different troupes of majorettes which cost the carnival almost �300 in expenses/prize money.
In 2009 there were two costing �100. With the country still in recession, the carnival also had to trim back its expenses and this was one area where this could be achieved.
In 2009 there has been no business sponsorship and therefore the carnival has had to rely on its street collection to pay the prize winners.
There has also been mention of not having the Sidmouth Town Band leading the procession, well the band decided that due to several coins being lobbed and hitting the instruments, that they wouldn't enter again. There was also a charge for the band, running into four figures.
I understand that Rob has decide not to run the event next year and therefore there will be plenty of opportunities for all the critics to put their money where their mouth is and form a committee and run the event themselves.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 5 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 6 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 7 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 8 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 9 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 10 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum