Cut MPs’ salaries
MADAM - Last week s letter from Christine Potter asked why did we need 59 councillors on the EDDC when we already had 656 MP s running the country?
MADAM - Last week's letter from Christine Potter asked why did we need 59 councillors on the EDDC when we already had 656 MP's running the country?
Westminster only enacts 25 per cent of our laws and only 'rubber-stamps' the 75 per cent coming from the EU, so shouldn't MP's salaries, therefore, be a quarter of what they are now, let alone expenses? We pay a basic �40 million per day in 'Membership Fees' to the EU and a request for a cost/benefit analysis has been consistently denied by Government. Add to this an uncontrolled Immigration Policy our infrastructure can't withstand, which is about SPACE not RACE.
June 4 sees the European Elections and the Conservatives are promising a referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon (which we were denied) if elected next year, but a 'NO' vote would be ignored by the EU Commission, or we'd be bullied again until a 'YES' was obtained, so the Treaty is largely irrelevant. The only way out of this is for the Tories to give a binding commitment to have a Referendum on our membership of the EU, in their first year of office.
A recent BBC Opinion Poll showed 55 per cent of voters wanted to leave the EU, so a huge vote for UKIP would show the Tories the strength of feeling that exists today and so stiffen their resolve to make that binding commitment, win the next election by a landslide, get the running sore of UKIP off their backs and get our country back.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 5 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead