Many people in Sidmouth will be mourning the passing of Derek Lee, longtime postman and friend to so many.
Derek had an insatiable curiosity about many things, but the question he would turn to time and again was: where did the name Pennington Point come from?
We were all children in Sidmouth in the forties and fifties, and our parents came from the Sid Valley, yet none of us can ever recall hearing that name! We all called that area the Alma, after the bridge.
So, although Derek himself will now never know the answer, is there somebody out there who can solve the puzzle for us old Sidmothians?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman