Many people in Sidmouth will be mourning the passing of Derek Lee, longtime postman and friend to so many.
Derek had an insatiable curiosity about many things, but the question he would turn to time and again was: where did the name Pennington Point come from?
We were all children in Sidmouth in the forties and fifties, and our parents came from the Sid Valley, yet none of us can ever recall hearing that name! We all called that area the Alma, after the bridge.
So, although Derek himself will now never know the answer, is there somebody out there who can solve the puzzle for us old Sidmothians?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War
- 4 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 5 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 6 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 7 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 8 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 9 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 10 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic