Many people in Sidmouth will be mourning the passing of Derek Lee, longtime postman and friend to so many.
Derek had an insatiable curiosity about many things, but the question he would turn to time and again was: where did the name Pennington Point come from?
We were all children in Sidmouth in the forties and fifties, and our parents came from the Sid Valley, yet none of us can ever recall hearing that name! We all called that area the Alma, after the bridge.
So, although Derek himself will now never know the answer, is there somebody out there who can solve the puzzle for us old Sidmothians?
- 1 UPDATE: Man dies after A3052 accident
- 2 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 3 Do you have a crocodile bush near you?
- 4 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 5 Simply having a wonderful Christmas time in Sidmouth
- 6 Join fellow freelancers and homeworkers at Sidmouth's ‘Jelly' sessions
- 7 Three injured in Sidmouth road accident
- 8 From Sidmouth with solidarity: amnesty group writes to overseas political prisoners
- 9 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth