Did you see bird?
I wonder whether any of your readers can help with the identification of a bird I saw in The Byes on January 2.
It had the ‘feel’ of a seabird, although it was perched three-quarters the way up a very tall tree. About the size of a buzzard, dark brown/black apart from an off-white chest, head proportion relative to the body similar to that of a shag, with a longish, straight, pointed, bright yellow beak and a short, but obvious, neck.
I had no opportunity to see it in flight or to observe its feet. I can find nothing to match it in my bird identification books and am wondering whether it was blown in on the recent gales.
Did anyone else see it, and does anyone know what it is?
The peace of our Lord be with you.
You may also want to watch:
(Rev) David JC Wheeler
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses