Did you see bird?
I wonder whether any of your readers can help with the identification of a bird I saw in The Byes on January 2.
It had the ‘feel’ of a seabird, although it was perched three-quarters the way up a very tall tree. About the size of a buzzard, dark brown/black apart from an off-white chest, head proportion relative to the body similar to that of a shag, with a longish, straight, pointed, bright yellow beak and a short, but obvious, neck.
I had no opportunity to see it in flight or to observe its feet. I can find nothing to match it in my bird identification books and am wondering whether it was blown in on the recent gales.
Did anyone else see it, and does anyone know what it is?
The peace of our Lord be with you.
You may also want to watch:
(Rev) David JC Wheeler
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98