Did you see bird?
I wonder whether any of your readers can help with the identification of a bird I saw in The Byes on January 2.
It had the ‘feel’ of a seabird, although it was perched three-quarters the way up a very tall tree. About the size of a buzzard, dark brown/black apart from an off-white chest, head proportion relative to the body similar to that of a shag, with a longish, straight, pointed, bright yellow beak and a short, but obvious, neck.
I had no opportunity to see it in flight or to observe its feet. I can find nothing to match it in my bird identification books and am wondering whether it was blown in on the recent gales.
Did anyone else see it, and does anyone know what it is?
The peace of our Lord be with you.
You may also want to watch:
(Rev) David JC Wheeler
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 4 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 5 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 8 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 9 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 10 Pre-season fun for a rugby player