Drill Hall selloff to highest bidder?
SIR - There is a likelihood that EDDC will sell off the Drill Hall and other Port Royal assets to the highest bidder.
They belonged to the people of Sidmouth, but now, with changes to local government and, recently, national government having decided the public do not need to be consulted, it is open to EDDC to sell off “the family silver”.
Are we now to have previous assets taken from us? The Lifeboat Station and the Sailing club must be seriously worried and the Drill Hall should be a community resource, situated as it is in a prime position.
EDDC are already making money from the car parks and now wish to make more by the sale of Port Royal.
The good of the town should be paramount, with facilities for the Lifeboat Station and Sailing Club protected, an indoor community market and sheltered winter garden with provision for refreshments.
You may also want to watch:
Above all, the residents and ordinary tourists should be the first consideration and the character of our beautiful town preserved.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
6 Lennox Avenue