EU - What will the Tories do?
MADAM - In A View From Westminster, Herald of March 27, Hugo Swire MP set out the way in which new regulations from the EU will cause cuts in fire services, force up council tax and have a damaging effect on retained fire-fighters.
MADAM - In A View From Westminster, Herald of March 27, Hugo Swire MP set out the way in which new regulations from the EU will cause cuts in fire services, force up council tax and have a damaging effect on retained fire-fighters. He went on to express his great concern at the devastating effect of European directives and red tape on jobs and rights.
So far, so commendable. But he is silent on how, or even if, an incoming Conservative government would take back powers from Brussels over UK employment and social regulation. Many people are concerned, like him, about unelected commissions and courts in the EU laying down how we should live. So long as the Westminster Parliament is a branch office subject to overriding laws from Brussels then so long will MPs like Mr Swire be reduced to being 'very concerned' but impotent at the outcome. The EU continues to issue directives and create bureaucracy and red tape to the detriment of British workers and jobs. We need to know from Mr Swire what Conservatives, if elected, are going to do about it.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge