SIR - In reply to Brian Lewis, there is plenty of evidence for the rule of the murderous King Herod of Jerusalem, who died in 4BC, aged 70, having ruled for 36 years.
Flavius Josephus in his Antiquities of the Jews refers to the early Christian community in Jerusalem and speaks of Jesus who was the Messiah. Tacitus, the Roman historian, mentions Jesus specifically in his annals, while explaining the meaning of the word Christians. Christ, from whom they derive their name, was condemned to death by the procurator Pontius Pilate in the reign of Emperor Tiberius. The Roman Suetonius described the messianic movement during the reign of the Emperor Claudius in his book The Twelve Caesars. The Jews were driven out of Rome because of Chrestus. The writer Orosius also refers to this.
The Russians are believed to have a letter, written in Christ’s own hand, to the king of Moab.
Archaeology, excavation, ancient writings, astronomical records and modern science, have produced astonishing detailed evidence for the truth of the Bible records in the Old and New Testament.
You may also want to watch:
Glewstone Lodge, Salcombe Hill Road, Sidmouth
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity