Fire in Newton Poppleford
SIR - I read with interest the articles in the last two issues of the Sidmouth Herald (August 13 & 20) regarding the fire at the brownies shed in Newton Poppleford, and am pleased to read that the local community has supported them with donations.
However, I am wondering why your newspaper has only briefly mentioned the fact that, as a result of the fire, the church also lost a shed (with its contents) and damage was caused to both the church and church hall.
Indeed, it would seem that no-one from your newspaper has contacted any of the church officials to discover the impact this fire has on the life of the church and wider community.
The damage to church property runs in to tens of thousands of pounds and the damage to the hall itself will affect some twenty, or so, church and community groups who regularly used the hall on a weekly or monthly basis. These groups will have to make alternative arrangements as the hall will be out of action for a long time.
We are waiting for the insurance company and other agencies to decide on their response, but the life of the church goes on. We will still be holding our regular Sunday services and the other church activities will still take place, either in the church or various locations within the village.
You may also want to watch:
We would like the wider public to know that all activities will take place in September, maybe in a different place, time or in a slightly changed format, but the work of the church goes on!
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 3 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
Treasurer of St Luke’s Church