Gains for town
Sidmouth has an opportunity to save the cliffs at Pennington point, redevelop the Drill Hall and create somewhere for the Jurassic boat trips to visit Sidmouth and have a small development on reclaimed land with somewhere for the gig boat to use all the year round.
How about building a marina using steel caissons in a curve out to sea as used in Brighton, but on a smaller scale, and have an area for visiting leisure boats and a better area for fishing boats.
The lifeboat would have easier access to the sea and, on reclaimed land, build restaurants and shops with an extension from the promenade to give good views of the coast.
This will cost money but with a developer on board and a little imagination this could happen.
All we see now is a coastline slowly moving inland and an unused foreshore full of fallen rocks and soil which is a mess.
You may also want to watch:
What would Sidmouth gain?
More employment and more visitors, especially the boating community with their deep pockets.
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 6 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 7 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 10 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park