Glenda’s a tonic
Too ill to work on Wednesday, I tuned in to the Parliamentary channel shortly before Glenda Jackson started speaking. What a tonic!
It must be years since I heard such a finely structured, passionately argued speech delivered in the face of bullying stout Parliamentary gentlemen in grey suits attempting to prevent a powerful woman from articulating her deep moral faith.
It was refreshing to hear conviction politics again as Ms Jackson confidently shared her experience of outrage at the spiritual, economic, social and political damage inflicted on the world over the past 30 years by the vicious worldview so cheerfully embodied by the late Margaret Thatcher.
In passing, this inspiring and courageous woman reminded us in her speech of the real role played by real women in really running the country during the past century. And renewed our energy to continue caring for society.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 5 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 6 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 7 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 8 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 9 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 10 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War