Glenda’s a tonic
Too ill to work on Wednesday, I tuned in to the Parliamentary channel shortly before Glenda Jackson started speaking. What a tonic!
It must be years since I heard such a finely structured, passionately argued speech delivered in the face of bullying stout Parliamentary gentlemen in grey suits attempting to prevent a powerful woman from articulating her deep moral faith.
It was refreshing to hear conviction politics again as Ms Jackson confidently shared her experience of outrage at the spiritual, economic, social and political damage inflicted on the world over the past 30 years by the vicious worldview so cheerfully embodied by the late Margaret Thatcher.
In passing, this inspiring and courageous woman reminded us in her speech of the real role played by real women in really running the country during the past century. And renewed our energy to continue caring for society.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 3 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police