Grandfather was well-known figure
MADAM - In the Sidmouth Herald edition for November 6, on page 30, there is a picture of a lady looking out to sea. This photo is of my mother, whose maiden name was Doris Smith.
MADAM - In the Sidmouth Herald edition for November 6, on page 30, there is a picture of a lady looking out to sea.
This photo is of my mother, whose maiden name was Doris Smith. In 1924, when this photo was taken, she was 18 years old. My mother lived just around the corner from York Terrace, where this photo was taken, in Dove Lane. The man standing next to her is her brother, Charles William Smith, known as Willie, and lives in Sidford. My Grandfather, Wellington Smith, came from an old Sidmouth family. He had a horse and cart and delivered fish to the farms around the Sid Valley. His stables, where he kept his two horses, are now a car park at the back of the shops in Fore Street.
1 Somerville Road
You may also want to watch:
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 6 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles