Grandfather was well-known figure
MADAM - In the Sidmouth Herald edition for November 6, on page 30, there is a picture of a lady looking out to sea. This photo is of my mother, whose maiden name was Doris Smith.
MADAM - In the Sidmouth Herald edition for November 6, on page 30, there is a picture of a lady looking out to sea.
This photo is of my mother, whose maiden name was Doris Smith. In 1924, when this photo was taken, she was 18 years old. My mother lived just around the corner from York Terrace, where this photo was taken, in Dove Lane. The man standing next to her is her brother, Charles William Smith, known as Willie, and lives in Sidford. My Grandfather, Wellington Smith, came from an old Sidmouth family. He had a horse and cart and delivered fish to the farms around the Sid Valley. His stables, where he kept his two horses, are now a car park at the back of the shops in Fore Street.
1 Somerville Road
You may also want to watch:
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government