Grandfather was well-known figure
MADAM - In the Sidmouth Herald edition for November 6, on page 30, there is a picture of a lady looking out to sea. This photo is of my mother, whose maiden name was Doris Smith.
MADAM - In the Sidmouth Herald edition for November 6, on page 30, there is a picture of a lady looking out to sea.
This photo is of my mother, whose maiden name was Doris Smith. In 1924, when this photo was taken, she was 18 years old. My mother lived just around the corner from York Terrace, where this photo was taken, in Dove Lane. The man standing next to her is her brother, Charles William Smith, known as Willie, and lives in Sidford. My Grandfather, Wellington Smith, came from an old Sidmouth family. He had a horse and cart and delivered fish to the farms around the Sid Valley. His stables, where he kept his two horses, are now a car park at the back of the shops in Fore Street.
1 Somerville Road
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 7 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 8 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 9 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 10 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary