Grazing the plot
Regarding the question of Pennington Point.
My mother was born at the Fortfield Terrace in 1900. She always referred to that end of Sidmouth front as Port Royal. She called the Triangle the Three-Cornered Plot and could remember sheep grazing there.
My brother and I still call that area of Sidmouth Port Royal, and talk of going out-beach – very much a Sidmouth term.
Florence Rowland (née Ash)
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 5 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 6 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon