First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 2 Students step out on Woodbury in their Ten Tors training
- 3 Fire training exercise at Newton Poppleford
- 4 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 5 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 6 New police station will help address challenges in keeping residents safe
- 7 Cash grant offer to Sidmouth youth support groups
- 8 Bin and recycling collections topped 48,000 TONNES last year, figures reveal
- 9 All change for football in Sidmouth and Ottery
- 10 Young politicians wanted in East Devon