Homosexuality and other things
- Credit: ©ARCHANT } NORFOLK 2002.
Your editorial comment as a postscript to my last letter (“Cheap one-liner”, Opinion, May 31) merely explained the origin of the expression Adam and Steve.
Much used by the malignant Jerry Falwell, it became somewhat of a catchphrase for use by the homophobic.
Among Jerry’s other notable sayings was the following: “Aids is not just God’s punishment for homosexuals, it is God’s punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuality.”
For fundamentalist Christians this may have some resonance but they should ponder the awful fact that at some point in time a full-blown cure for Aids will emerge.
What will that signify? Will God have died, will he/she have turned his/her attention to other deviants? I think we should be told.
You may also want to watch:
If you as a publisher are happy to give credence to the views that underlie the A&S joke then shame on you.
I won’t respond in detail to Mr Prosser’s letter (Opinion, May 31) except to say that the battle is lost, get used to it.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 5 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 7 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 8 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
The concern of my original letter was the fact that gay marriage was apparently a key issue in the recent local elections.
Quite apart from the sheer disconnect between this issue and local politics, one would have thought that the things that mattered were more to do with probity, cronyism, competence, and independence.
These key qualities have no connection whatsoever with views on gay marriage and that was my central argument.
One can point to the overwhelming victory by Claire Wright in Ottery as testament to the fact that some parts of the East Devon electorate are enlightened.
In Sidmouth, which is vote for the blue turnip on a stick territory, I fear we will never achieve such representation.