Idea for housing
Sir - In response to the letter ‘Understanding plight of homeless’, I recommend that local councillors look up www.charterforcompassion.org created by Karen Armstrong who recently spoke at Dartington.
Maybe Sidmouth could take a lead in following this charter by providing facilities for the people who frequent the seafront and for the many young people in this area who have a drug problem
There are quite a few empty properties in the area.
Perhaps local businesses could contribute to the purchase of one of them and retired social workers and other people with an interest, skills and experience to do with these problems could get together to provide a service. One such property is in Temple Street, next to the abandoned building firm with the roof demolished.
This house has been empty for years, in spite of social housing problems.
You may also want to watch:
Name and address provided
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98