Idea for housing
Sir - In response to the letter ‘Understanding plight of homeless’, I recommend that local councillors look up www.charterforcompassion.org created by Karen Armstrong who recently spoke at Dartington.
Maybe Sidmouth could take a lead in following this charter by providing facilities for the people who frequent the seafront and for the many young people in this area who have a drug problem
There are quite a few empty properties in the area.
Perhaps local businesses could contribute to the purchase of one of them and retired social workers and other people with an interest, skills and experience to do with these problems could get together to provide a service. One such property is in Temple Street, next to the abandoned building firm with the roof demolished.
This house has been empty for years, in spite of social housing problems.
Name and address provided
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 7 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth