In defence of the Northcott
MADAM - As a recently appointed trustee of The Northcott Theatre, Exeter, I feel that I should respond to your article in the Sidmouth Herald dated January 23, entitled THE NORTHCOTT - a theatre adrift with no direction
MADAM - As a recently appointed trustee of The Northcott Theatre, Exeter, I feel that I should respond to your article in the Sidmouth Herald dated January 23, entitled
"THE NORTHCOTT - a theatre adrift with no direction"
In the article your writer, John Dalton, stated that the artistic director has not been replaced. This is not the case. We recently recruited Rebecca Manson Jones as the Creative Director. She was chosen from a short list of very strong contenders and from mid-January has started to work closely with Chief Executive Kate Tyrell and two other recently appointed directors. As to the content of the current programme, in the interim period whilst a Creative Director was being recruited, the programme was chosen to put minimum pressure on existing theatre resources whilst the overall planned changes were implemented. As for ticket prices the Northcott has several ticket offers on currently.
Rebecca has an impressive track record as a theatre director. As part of Michael Attenborough's artistic team at the Almeida Theatre, Rebecca created a new strand of work, championing emerging artists, working with local community groups and establishing local networks with young people and schools. Previous to the Almeida, Rebecca spent four years as Associate Director of the Actors Touring Company. She has also worked at the Finborough, Southwark Playhouse and Soho Theatre, where she is a member of the Literary Associates Panel.
You may also want to watch:
Katherine Scott joins Exeter Northcott as Marketing & Customer Services Director, and will be heading up a new department established to refocus the organisation towards its audiences, customers and partners. An arts marketing professional with over 16 years' experience, Katherine has previously worked as Marketing & Communications Manager at The Brewhouse Theatre, Taunton, and as Head of Marketing for Northern Ballet Theatre, a large-scale touring dance company.
Neal Whitfield, Exeter Northcott's Finance Manager, is the final member of the senior management team in his new role of Finance & Admin Director.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 3 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 4 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
(Trustee Northcott Theatre)
28 Water Lane