Inevitability of Fortfield fire
SIR - I echo the comments made by Steve Jellyman (letters page January 7) regarding the much prophesied fire at The Fortfield Hotel. Despite the numerous warnings by the fire brigade, police and others, the inevitable happened.
The owner, Andrew Torjussen, will now get his way and get the building demolished and Sidmouth will lose another fine structure.
Let us hope that some sense will now prevail and a building that will complement the town will be put in its place.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites