Inevitability of Fortfield fire
SIR - I echo the comments made by Steve Jellyman (letters page January 7) regarding the much prophesied fire at The Fortfield Hotel. Despite the numerous warnings by the fire brigade, police and others, the inevitable happened.
The owner, Andrew Torjussen, will now get his way and get the building demolished and Sidmouth will lose another fine structure.
Let us hope that some sense will now prevail and a building that will complement the town will be put in its place.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 3 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 4 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 10 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations