Is this democracy?
I note your report last week that East Devon District Council is trying to get rid of the SOS noticeboard in Old Fore Street by claiming it is unsightly and a hazard to delivery lorries!
This is a pedestrianised street after all.
It shows EDDC is on the back foot over its planning policy for Sidmouth when it tries to stifle free speech.
We think we live in a democracy but in Sidmouth we might as well be living in Putin’s Russia.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 4 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 5 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 6 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 7 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War
- 8 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 9 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 10 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
Editor’s note: The Herald reported that Sidmouth Town Council recommended the sign be removed, saying the sign was ‘unsightly and detrimental to the street scene’.
EDDC is set to make a decision in the next few weeks.