Is this democracy?
I note your report last week that East Devon District Council is trying to get rid of the SOS noticeboard in Old Fore Street by claiming it is unsightly and a hazard to delivery lorries!
This is a pedestrianised street after all.
It shows EDDC is on the back foot over its planning policy for Sidmouth when it tries to stifle free speech.
We think we live in a democracy but in Sidmouth we might as well be living in Putin’s Russia.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 2 Tragedy strikes the racing world
- 3 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 6 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 7 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 8 School's hill climb challenge
- 9 Family triumph in Sidmouth golf team stableford
- 10 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
Editor’s note: The Herald reported that Sidmouth Town Council recommended the sign be removed, saying the sign was ‘unsightly and detrimental to the street scene’.
EDDC is set to make a decision in the next few weeks.