Is this service as it used to be?
SIR – It was my husband s birthday. Fields was shutting at 5.15pm. My daughter and I rushed to the first floor at 5.10pm, only to be confronted with swathes of polythene closing off our route.
SIR - It was my husband's birthday. Fields was shutting at 5.15pm. My daughter and I rushed to the first floor at 5.10pm, only to be confronted with swathes of polythene closing off our route.
Staff redirected us back down the stairs, back through ladieswear and up the other stairs to the card shop. We selected cards but the smiley lady at the till said she was now 'closed' so we couldn't buy them. I explained how we had been redirected around the shop due to the refurbishment and even offered the right money...she simply smiled and said we couldn't buy the cards, she was 'closed'.
We ran around the town, then we got to Coles Cards and News in High Street. The shopkeeper had turned the lock as we dashed towards the door. He must have seen our disappointment because he unlocked the door and asked if he could help.
I told him we desperately needed a couple of cards and we would be very quick. He let us in and told us not to worry and to take our time choosing cards. We carefully selected our cards, paid, thanked him again for re-opening the shop for us and we left. Now that is service as it used to be.
Mrs T Coles (no relation)
- 1 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 2 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 5 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 6 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 7 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 8 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 9 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 10 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth