How typical of the leader of EDDC not to have the leadership courage to tell Cllr Hughes face to face that he was being relegated to the back benches!
Instead, he delegates the job to his chief whip. But perhaps it’s an example of the “transparency” he promised us on assuming the lead?
After all, the alleged reason for his decision is transparent enough for everyone to see through! The obvious real reason is that Cllr Hughes spoke up for those whom he represents and did not kowtow to the party line.
Perhaps the given reason – that chairing the overview and scrutiny committee is an important job that takes up “an awful lot of time” – is because the machinations of this council’s planning policy require an awful lot of scrutiny?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 3 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 6 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 7 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 8 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
- 9 Sidmouth bowlers suffer Madeira defeat
- 10 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid