Jobs not flats
SIR - With a predicted increase in the 70-74 age group of almost 40% by 2021*, Sidmouth does not need another development of luxury apartments aimed at the wealthy retired.
The crucial need is for employment and economic stimulus; therefore, maintaining the Fortfield site for hospitality purposes makes sound social and economic sense.
It could possibly be combined with space for a new health centre.
Despite the doctors’ plea, it is unlikely that EDDC would spend all of Zero C’s reported offer of �1.5 million on affluent Sidmouth, when there are high priorities elsewhere. We should beware of being led by false hopes into a hasty bad planning decision, which would add to the pressure on our health services, rather than relieving them!
*source: Devon C.C. Strategic Intelligence Unit, 2007
You may also want to watch:
Jackie and Tony Green,
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 3 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 4 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 5 United front needed to ensure Devon does not remain the poor relation
- 6 What will you find in this year's butterfly count?
- 7 Donkey sanctuary's new trail and batty activities this summer
- 8 A little respect goes a long way to reducing summer tensions
- 9 Repaint of fish mural brightens up The Ham
- 10 Young talent emerging in local cricket