Just represent us
Hugo Swire has confirmed his position on gay marriage, having apparently “changed his mind” to support the Government’s proposal to introduce the controversial policy.
This is in spite of admitting that the subject “deeply divides opinion” and that the proposed legislation was not contained within the manifesto of the Conservative Party prior to the last election.
Why do our supposedly democratically-appointed representatives not just do that - represent?
They seem to think that election to office is a mandate to do what they want.
It is not. It is a mandate to do what we want.
Regrettably, the same appears to me to be true throughout the political process in this country, from parish councils upwards, with exceptions being unfortunately rare.
Our prospective representatives would be well advised to remember who they work for, come the next election, as we will also remember their deeds whilst in office.
- 1 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 2 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 3 'It's a nightmare': Sidmouth business react as roadworks get underway
- 4 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 5 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 6 'Generous' donations kept Sidmouth Lifeboat afloat in 2021
- 7 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 9 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 10 Mental health awareness and fundraising at Sidmouth