Let’s thrash this one out in public
The Herald of November 29 published a long letter from Councillor Phil Twiss, the Conservative whip on East Devon District Council (“Have whip, but don’t ever use it”).
Phil Twiss challenges me to get Conservative councillors to tell the Herald that he has whipped them.
Of course, no Conservative councillor would do so – unless they wished to become ex-Conservative councillors in the very near future.
If I may say so, a much more sensible suggestion, which might prove to be of interest to Herald readers, is a public debate.
I hope that Phil Twiss will agree to a debate between myself, or another Independent councillor, and himself, or another Conservative councillor, on the subject of openness and transparency in local government.
Councillor Roger Giles
Ottery Town (Independent)
- 1 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 5 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 6 Perfect storm has created a housing crisis that needs fixing
- 7 Ottery St Mary rings in the festivities
- 8 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 10 Rugby classics in exotic locations
East Devon District Council