Let’s thrash this one out in public
The Herald of November 29 published a long letter from Councillor Phil Twiss, the Conservative whip on East Devon District Council (“Have whip, but don’t ever use it”).
Phil Twiss challenges me to get Conservative councillors to tell the Herald that he has whipped them.
Of course, no Conservative councillor would do so – unless they wished to become ex-Conservative councillors in the very near future.
If I may say so, a much more sensible suggestion, which might prove to be of interest to Herald readers, is a public debate.
I hope that Phil Twiss will agree to a debate between myself, or another Independent councillor, and himself, or another Conservative councillor, on the subject of openness and transparency in local government.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Roger Giles
Ottery Town (Independent)
- 1 Town's garden competition effort judged
- 2 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 3 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 6 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 7 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 8 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 9 Joseph's year of 100 half marathons to support refugees
- 10 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
East Devon District Council