Listen to advice
It never ceases to amaze me how politicians and councillors choose to ignore advice offered freely to them by members of the public.
On Friday, September 20, the Sidmouth Herald printed a letter from Richard Thurlow that highlighted the shortcomings of the East Devon District Council headquarters move from the Knowle to new purpose-built accommodation elsewhere.
There have, in recent months, been similar missives from other like-minded individuals.
On Friday, September 27, you printed a letter from Councillor Phil Twiss where he accuses Mr Thurlow of conveniently allowing opinion and emotion to get in the way of facts and figures.
I believe that the boot is on the other foot and it is the EDDC that is blinding itself to reality.
You may also want to watch:
If such a move should go ahead, it will rue the day it chose to ignore well meaning experts.
I will not try to argue the figures as this has been done effectively on many occasions over recent months, but as we are all being asked to tighten our belts, should not EDDC do the same and take the most cost effective option and stay at the Knowle in refurbished accommodation.
- 1 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 2 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 3 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 4 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 5 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 6 Smart mowing will create a corridor for small creatures
- 7 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 8 Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to welcome world leaders to South West
- 9 Born for the screen - Exmouth's very own Liver Bird
- 10 Rob to serve up your top topping for your perfect pizza this month
In Sidmouth there are many retired experts in the field of construction and civil engineering in general.
These people are not allowing opinion and emotion to get in the way of reality because they have a lifetime experience that tells them when things are wrong and this proposal is wrong.