Majorettes always welcome here
MADAM - I would, through your newspaper, like to support Mrs Cardwell s letter and all the other majorette troops that, over the years have attended Sidmouth Carnival.
MADAM - I would, through your newspaper, like to support Mrs Cardwell's letter and all the other majorette troops that, over the years have attended Sidmouth Carnival.
These girls train very hard throughout the year, especially for these events, and now one person can just turn around and say they are not welcome.
Well, I welcome them, as do many other residents of Sidmouth that I have spoken to.
Some of these girls are local, okay they chose to be members of troops in places such as Seaton, and Axminster, but that is because we do not have a majorette troop here in Sidmouth.
By them not attending that now means that their friends and family members will not be able to see them perform.
These girls that make up a troupe are all young, so how Mr Hughes can make the decision that the only troupe welcome is Lyme Regis because he booked them 16 years ago!
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Ottery's Animal Rescue Centre holds anniversary fundraising event
- 3 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 4 Sidmouth sailors host national competition
- 5 Well done to jubilee party organisers - lets hope the weather holds
- 6 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 7 Rock Choir fundraiser for Sidmouth's Admiral Nurse
- 8 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 9 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 10 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
Most of the girls from the other troops weren't even born then, so that is an unfair decision.
Sidmouth Carnival is becoming very 'if your face don't fit, you're not welcome'.
If you have hundreds of lights, then you can come. What has happened to the Sidmouth Town Band, Sidmouth Carnival Queen and Sidmouth Postmen, all pushed out because they slowed down the carnival?
I thought carnivals were supposed to be a family-orientated event, not now it seems. Watch out all the walking entries, you will be kicked out for being too slow next.
Can I also, through your paper, ask why do we not have a committee run carnival, like other towns and villages, with events throughout the year to raise funds for the carnival and that way you won't need to sponge of the businesses in the town.
To all the majorettes, you have got a lot of support in the town and we don't want to lose you forever.
Perhaps, to show the organisers up, you can come over to Sidmouth on Saturday and do your performances in the park at Woolbrook!
That would show them up.