SIR - Do our councillors not use the local health facilities?
During the 15 years which I have lived in Sidmouth, I have found it most strange that this town, which prides itself on generally high standards, has been prepared to tolerate the outdated and shamefully inadequate accommodation in Blackmore Drive for our medical practitioners. Their accommodation has officially been judged the most woefully under-sized in the whole of East Devon.
New housing abounds, bringing a great increase in population, yet it seems that there have been no efforts by any Town, District or County councillor, to put pressure on developers to persuade them to contribute to the desperately-needed provision of twenty-first century buildings for our doctors and their staff!
We should all feel guilty that it has been left to busy Dr Duncan Hall (see last week’s `Opinion’ page in your paper), to put in a plea that a share of the hefty profits made by developers, be used for the overdue redevelopment of the Health Centre and Public Library.
It is high time for patients to mount a campaign for better facilities!
You may also want to watch:
The Old Chancel, Coburg Terrace, Sidmouth
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses