Money could be golden opportunity
SIR - I was amazed to read in last week’s Sidmouth Herald that the �1.5million, promised to Sidmouth by the developers of the Fortfield Hotel site, could be used elsewhere in Devon! Whatever next?
I understood the donation to be a form of compensation to the town because the developers are replacing a well-known hotel with residential apartments (i.e. not holiday flats).
This money provides a golden opportunity to give the doctors the surgery for which they have waited more than ten years and which would benefit everyone in the town.
Surely, the rebuilding of a new, spacious surgery should take priority over anything else, particularly when the erection of more houses means, inevitably, an influx of more residents, all of whom will expect to receive medical attention at some time.
To allow this money to be used other than for the good of Sidmouth would be, in my opinion, beyond belief.
You may also want to watch:
All Saints Road, Sidmouth
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 5 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 6 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 9 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses