Money could be golden opportunity
SIR - I was amazed to read in last week’s Sidmouth Herald that the �1.5million, promised to Sidmouth by the developers of the Fortfield Hotel site, could be used elsewhere in Devon! Whatever next?
I understood the donation to be a form of compensation to the town because the developers are replacing a well-known hotel with residential apartments (i.e. not holiday flats).
This money provides a golden opportunity to give the doctors the surgery for which they have waited more than ten years and which would benefit everyone in the town.
Surely, the rebuilding of a new, spacious surgery should take priority over anything else, particularly when the erection of more houses means, inevitably, an influx of more residents, all of whom will expect to receive medical attention at some time.
To allow this money to be used other than for the good of Sidmouth would be, in my opinion, beyond belief.
You may also want to watch:
All Saints Road, Sidmouth
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open