No secrets please
Councillor Roger Giles has been treated shamefully by his colleagues on the Ottery Town Council, and if anyone deseves an apology it is him.
It seems that the planning committee/council can treat as ‘confidential’ any matter that it decides and thus exclude the press and public and forego the trifling necessity of an item appearing on an agenda or one minuted at a meeting.
What sort of democracy is that?
There is no place for secrecy in local goverment – even more so in the hotly debated issues of development. The council was wrong in deciding in secret to meet Persimmon Homes and wrong in going ahead and doing so.
The residents of West Hill and the other communities which he serves are fortunate in having a man of principle likes Cllr. Giles (and Cllr Claire Wright) to represent them.
You may also want to watch:
Tipton St John
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War
- 4 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 5 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 6 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 7 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 8 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 9 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 10 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit