No whip required
I would like to add to the debate prompted by Councillor Roger Giles’s letter “Electing to stand” (Opinion, November 22).
Roger insults the intelligence of the electorate in East Devon, which over the years has elected two Conservative MPs, contributed to electing three Conservative MEPs, and duly elected a Conservative majority at East Devon District Council and Devon County Council.
Roger, face it – we live in area where the electorate has chosen the values and beliefs of the Conservative way of life...
Conservative policies are a matter of record and well established in East Devon. More than can be said for Independent candidates, who are very shy as to their values and beliefs.
Perhaps I could request, through the good offices of the Sidmouth Herald, that you explain them to the electorate – adding what has been achieved in regard to your values and beliefs since the last district elections.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, you will note this letter is written by a free-thinking Conservative councillor without the aid of a ‘whip’.
Cllr Tony Howard
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 3 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 4 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 7 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 8 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
EDDC Conservative Member for Ottery St Mary Rural Ward