No whip required
I would like to add to the debate prompted by Councillor Roger Giles’s letter “Electing to stand” (Opinion, November 22).
Roger insults the intelligence of the electorate in East Devon, which over the years has elected two Conservative MPs, contributed to electing three Conservative MEPs, and duly elected a Conservative majority at East Devon District Council and Devon County Council.
Roger, face it – we live in area where the electorate has chosen the values and beliefs of the Conservative way of life...
Conservative policies are a matter of record and well established in East Devon. More than can be said for Independent candidates, who are very shy as to their values and beliefs.
Perhaps I could request, through the good offices of the Sidmouth Herald, that you explain them to the electorate – adding what has been achieved in regard to your values and beliefs since the last district elections.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, you will note this letter is written by a free-thinking Conservative councillor without the aid of a ‘whip’.
Cllr Tony Howard
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 7 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 8 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 9 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 10 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
EDDC Conservative Member for Ottery St Mary Rural Ward