Not a great speech
So Robert Crick is of the opinion that Glenda Jackson’s tirade in Parliament was a real tonic.
He was apparently too ill to work on Wednesday, April 17, and so tuned in to the Parliamentary channel in time to catch this ‘powerful’ woman articulating her deep moral faith in the face of bullying stout gentlemen in grey suits attempting to prevent her.
I heard the speech too, but I heard an ex-actress, slagging off the late, great Margaret Thatcher with the paraphrase, “A woman. Not on my terms.”
I find that most gratifying as the last time I saw Ms Jackson was on the silver screen in Women in Love, where she was rolling around naked in the grass with a drunken Oliver Reed.
In my book, there is nothing ladylike in that, but it amply illustrates her kind of woman…
Thank God for Margaret Thatcher.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 5 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 6 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 7 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 8 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 9 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 10 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth