SIR - As a retired nurse with a daughter and granddaughter, both nurses with the NHS, I am disgusted with what I read in the Herald and saw on TV news on what the regional NHS is planning to do: cutting back on overtime, night duty and holiday pay.
These nurses work long hours and earn their money. They can be called back to work on their time off, at short notice, when there is a shortage of staff.
If this goes ahead there will definitely be a shortage of staff. Therefore, those who suffer will be the patients.
If there are to be cut backs then cut back at the top. Get rid of some of the chiefs. They are on the big money.
In my time there were not the chiefs there are today, and, to my mind, life was better in the NHS.
You may also want to watch:
P M Bealey
Manstone Avenue, Sidmouth
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 5 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 6 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 7 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching