SIR - As a retired nurse with a daughter and granddaughter, both nurses with the NHS, I am disgusted with what I read in the Herald and saw on TV news on what the regional NHS is planning to do: cutting back on overtime, night duty and holiday pay.
These nurses work long hours and earn their money. They can be called back to work on their time off, at short notice, when there is a shortage of staff.
If this goes ahead there will definitely be a shortage of staff. Therefore, those who suffer will be the patients.
If there are to be cut backs then cut back at the top. Get rid of some of the chiefs. They are on the big money.
In my time there were not the chiefs there are today, and, to my mind, life was better in the NHS.
You may also want to watch:
P M Bealey
Manstone Avenue, Sidmouth
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites