Ode to new bridge
I was lucky enough to witness the official re-opening of Lloyd bridge in “The Byes” after work was completed on January 31.
The bridge has been closed for several months after being almost destroyed by the high flood water.
The water at its peak was over the handrails. This local lifeline links the Byes to Lawn Vista. Sidmouth rambler Lauren Bradshaw told us: “I am thrilled by the reopening, EDDC have made an excellent job.”
King of Chit Bob Williams opened the bridge with a poem.
In storms and rain
You may also want to watch:
The great floods came
Our bridge was swept away
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
And for many a long day
Our friends who live up here
Were unable to get their beer
The Swan was a lonely place
Missing many a familiar face
But the council men have saved the day
And brought our bridge back into play
I declare it open and now I think
It’s safe to come and have a drink.
Hope you can use this.