Ode to new bridge
I was lucky enough to witness the official re-opening of Lloyd bridge in “The Byes” after work was completed on January 31.
The bridge has been closed for several months after being almost destroyed by the high flood water.
The water at its peak was over the handrails. This local lifeline links the Byes to Lawn Vista. Sidmouth rambler Lauren Bradshaw told us: “I am thrilled by the reopening, EDDC have made an excellent job.”
King of Chit Bob Williams opened the bridge with a poem.
In storms and rain
You may also want to watch:
The great floods came
Our bridge was swept away
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
And for many a long day
Our friends who live up here
Were unable to get their beer
The Swan was a lonely place
Missing many a familiar face
But the council men have saved the day
And brought our bridge back into play
I declare it open and now I think
It’s safe to come and have a drink.
Hope you can use this.