Ode to new bridge
I was lucky enough to witness the official re-opening of Lloyd bridge in “The Byes” after work was completed on January 31.
The bridge has been closed for several months after being almost destroyed by the high flood water.
The water at its peak was over the handrails. This local lifeline links the Byes to Lawn Vista. Sidmouth rambler Lauren Bradshaw told us: “I am thrilled by the reopening, EDDC have made an excellent job.”
King of Chit Bob Williams opened the bridge with a poem.
In storms and rain
You may also want to watch:
The great floods came
Our bridge was swept away
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 4 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 5 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 6 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 9 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 10 Hot! Hot! Hot! Haytor Heller
And for many a long day
Our friends who live up here
Were unable to get their beer
The Swan was a lonely place
Missing many a familiar face
But the council men have saved the day
And brought our bridge back into play
I declare it open and now I think
It’s safe to come and have a drink.
Hope you can use this.